Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Lala Salama Finished



I am excited to have finished this quilt up; now to package and mail it off! This quilt is for a Children's center in Kenya that is in the process of being built. You can read about it here. They are planning on opening mid year and wanted to have a hand made quilt for 100 children's beds. We were given the names of Kona colors that matched the paint colors they were using and they needed the quilt to be a certain size but the design was up to each individual. I used Kona grass green, peridot, parchment, basil, iron, coal, charcoal, indigo, oasis, and celestial. I then pulled from my stash some coordinating kid friendly woodland animals since the colors reminded me of a forest with a river running through it to give it a bit of an i-spy effect.

I was going to back the quilt in flannel but didn't have enough. Then I decided to back it in fleece but I didn't have quite enough of that either! So, I made a run to the fabric store to finish the back. They do not have central heat and said it does get cold there so I used batting along with the fleece so this is a heavy quilt. In the past when I have used fleece I have not used batting but I decided that sick kids may need the extra warmth. I would rather that the quilt be too warm than not warm enough. This evening I made a label that is now attached to the right hand bottom corner.

I straight lined quilted a 1/4 inch on each side of the seams. Because of the weight of this quilt I used my walking foot which I have never used before and it went very smoothly! I had never used it before due to fear of the unknown but if it could help make the quilting go smoothly I thought it was time to break it in. Other than having to check uTube on how to put the foot on it was easy!! I used a gray Aurfil thread for the quilting. The quilt finishes at 60x80.




I have so many projects lined up waiting now that the Lala quilt is done. This little bundle has been cut and is being made into a gift.

Bee blocks need to be made.

I have dresses planned for the girls. I have one of these cut out and it is waiting it's turn to be sewn up. Linking up with Freshly Pieced. Hope you have a great day!!
                                                                             
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
also linking up with the ongoing charity linky @ Threading My Way

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on mastering the walking foot Gina! Your quilt is lovely and will certainly be perfect for snuggling a sick child. Looks like you have lots of lovely projects in the pipeline too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its lovely Gina. A great gift. Looking forward to seeing your project with the Washi tape fabric - that is one fabric that I love every time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the finish
    Looks like you are going to be busy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Lala quilt turned out well - nice and warm too. Someone has put a lot of thought into organising this quilt project. The rooms will be a picture with all the quilts coordinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squares look so fresh and simple - wonderful. And the walking foot is so worth the effort, makes lines so much easier. New fabric with the promise of new projects is always inspiring. Look forward to the next stages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple but very pretty. Nice combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on that quilt! Such a wonderful cause, too. I love that Washi fabric and the lt blue you chose to go with it. That is going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Lala Salama quilt! It is sure to bring comfort! And oooh your new projects look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing your quilt will be! And I love your waiting project piles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats - it's a lovely finish. Love your crazy sticks fabric bundle - that looks intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina, this new quilt is really wonderful. So nice spring colors, really very nice! You made a lovely present for little children!
    And your fabrics for new projects... I can´t wait to see your new projects! :)
    Have a great time! Jola *

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quilt is a big boy! I can't imagine pushing all that fabric around! It will be nice to think of who gets comfort from it! When you have time, you should link it up at Threading My Way. Pam has a section "Sewing For a Cause" and this quilt needs to be there:) that washi tape fabric is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely quilt for the children's center! You picked gorgeous colors, and your love will be felt every time a child is using this beautiful gift!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Lala Salama quilt turned out beautifully G!! Nothing nicer than a nine patch, and the colours are perfect. Love that you made it into a bit of an eye spy quilt as well!
    The stack with the washi print is glorious, love that fabric!
    And i can't wait to see the girls dresses, your dresses are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finish Gina - and such a great cause too :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with those piles of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the colors on your finished quilt. Nice! I can't wait to see those dresses! OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful quilt, Gina and for such a worthwhile cause. Congrats on mastering your walking foot. It's not that long since I learnt how to use mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Featured today, Gina... http://www.threadingmyway.com/2014/03/threading-your-way-features_16.html

      Delete
  18. The quilt turned out so well and for such a great cause!. Love the fresh vibrant colours. Looking forward to your next projects.

    ReplyDelete