Thursday, March 20, 2014

Friday Paper Piecing Party: Sew Kitschy



I have been busy sewing up little things this week and a couple of them involved paper piecing so I am linking up to the amazing Kristy's Paper Piecing Party. This bowl block is free this month in Kristy's Craftsy shop until March 31 Australian time, which is a day ahead of U.S. time. This is the third block in her Sew Kitschy block of the month series. This was a fun, quick block to put together!! I was going for a retro look but things got too "patterny" and too much the same scale. I don't dislike it enough to change things but am making a mental note to mix up the fabric scale next time. I love the Bake Sale prints by Lori Holt and in my excitement wanted to use them all in this project (but I did keep it to 2 of the prints).

I took the block, added some cross hatch quilting,  and turned it into a hot pad holder. I sandwiched a layer of Insul Bright between 2 layers of batting and quilted away. It looked too square so I used a bowl to curve the corners. I didn't think things through and was working from the back to curve the corners. When I flipped it to the front I had nearing chopped into the spoon. Thankfully I didn't! The binding is thinner on the front than the back to not cover the design.
I used a retro kitchen tool themed fabric for the back.
For my next hot pad holder I used the apple pattern from here. This, too, was a quick, fun pattern to put together. She also has the Circle pattern to shape your hot pad holder in her tutorial section.
I used this cheery apple print from Alexander Henry for the back. The apple print creates a pocket to put your hand into to make easy use of the potholder :) Happy Friday!!!

Paper Piecing Party

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Gina, your work makes me want to sew so much! Absolutely love the cute apple pot holder. The fabric on the back is just perfect. Did you make the apple appliqué as well?? (on the right) The bowl block and pot holder are great too, really like the way you rounded the corners - it's not round and not square. Lovely! Happy Friday to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are both so cute and I love the fabric choices too!! Cute, cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's lovely! the bowl fabric is perfect. Great idea for a round potholder, I'm also trying to use the Sew Kitschy blocks for kitcheny items each month

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your projects. So bright and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have the most delightful fabric stash! I always love looking at the fabric you use in your projects - and these are just gorgeous! xxx Ps. I need to find where to get insulbrite from lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love these! Is that a fussy cut Cupcakery on the spoon? Love it and I like the fabrics. But the genius bit is the pocket for your hand on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great makes Gina and phew for missing that spoon:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these, Gina! You are going to inspire me to paper piece someday! This bowl and spoon could be a place to jump off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your potholders! The fabrics are SUPER cute!! They are too pretty to use ( I burn mine and stain them!!)
    I am so happy that you missed cutting into the spoon ! Happy Dance!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your potholders! The fabrics are SUPER cute!! They are too pretty to use ( I burn mine and stain them!!)
    I am so happy that you missed cutting into the spoon ! Happy Dance!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quilting must train your eye to see things in a different way, almost like graphic designers. I love everything in this post, and imp dying over the prints! On a side note; I'm also pretty impressed with your photography!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina, your new potholders are so nice! And the choice of fabrics is wonderful!! Great :)
    Have a nice time and lovely weekend!
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  14. You stole the idea right out of my head!! I haven't made any of the Sew Kitschy blocks yet, but i was thinking i may have to make this one for a pot holder! Great minds eh?!
    I love the fabrics you chose, especially for the spoon! Gorgeous work Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that is absolutely ADORABLE!! I love it! Your fabric choice is just perfect. The fussy cutting on the wooden spoon is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of these are so cute! I love the fabrics you have used and the words on the spoon are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute. You found a great use for your block!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the potholders you make - such a great way to use single blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea of turning Kristy's block into a pot holder - you're so clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Any unplanned and unexpected financial emergency can play havoc in the lives of all, not to mention the threatloans for people on benefits it poses on Those living on benefits. Day to day living cost is shootingloans for benefits up at a startling rate these days. Just imagine how people living on benefits would be struggling to make BOTH ENDS meet! http://www.loansforpeopleonbenefitssuk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  25. The borrowers can even a few of the eligibility qualifications if he or she wants to sanction thesis advances in a simple way. christmas loans the borrower can thus sanction thesis advances via online method if he or she wants a faster way to sanction thesis advances. Online method is simply the christmas loans no credit check best and most convenient method so the if he or she wants to sanction thesis advances. http://www.christmasloanssuk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete