Tuesday, February 25, 2014

WIP Wednesday: WIP's Times 3




Hi!! Happy Wednesday. Life has been very busy leaving only a few minutes here and there to sew a few stitches. I sewed up my do.Good Stitches blocks for February. We made Pyramid Scheme blocks with a pretty aqua and white color scheme. Wendi was kind enough to draw up a paper pieced version of the pattern for me so these blocks fit right in with my few minutes for sewing time frame. Paper piecing is my favorite way to put blocks together. 

I haven't worked on my LaLa Salama quilt for 2 weeks but i have half of the blocks made. I am looking forward to finishing them up. Originally I had planned to make it a Disappearing 9 Patch but at this point I think I will leave them 9 patches.

Lastly is my Wombat Stew bee block. This month Gemma asked for a star or New York Beauty block.  I have had this block downloaded for about a year and a half so I thought this the perfect opportunity to try it. The piecing is easy!!

 Sewing curves, however, is not so easy. I have watched videos that make it look like those curves go together by themselves but mine haven't. The large outside curves go together nicely but the small inside ones are hard. It seems a leap of faith to believe that these curves will turn into squares.

After spending about 7 hours on the first quadrant with sewing and ripping and sewing and ripping I decided to make all my pieces and then go back to sewing the curves together. I have a love-hate relationship going on with this block; if the pieces match up, I will love it and if they don't match up... well, let's not even consider that. Good thing I have plenty of faith!! Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.
                                                                                                      
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 
also linking up with Fabric Frenzy Friday  Fort Worth Fabric Studio Blog    

30 comments:

  1. Your blocks looks fab! Good luck with the curves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Gemma is one lucky lady to have such a talented (and patient!) friend ;o) That NY Beauty is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your New York Beauty block is going to be a beauty alright. Absolutely LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you can do it Gina :-) It is such a pretty block but I have no idea about how to work the curves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep going with it it's looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks extremely difficult and absolutely gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your New York Beauty block looks wonderful - I love the colours you are using. It will be fantastic when you complete it - but then you give it away??? I'd be rather attached to it if I was you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That NY Beauty looks spectacular! Love the greys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that NY Beauty block! I'm planning on doing one one day too, just a tiny bit afraid of paper piecing. Have you tried this video for curves? It helped me do 144 drunkards path blocks! http://shecanquilt.blogspot.it/2011/12/sewing-curves-is-not-hard-seriously.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This block is looking great! I love the colors you choose!
    I am sure you will work it out with the curves. Sometimes, precise cutting and not pinning does seem to help with the curves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous NYB blocks Gina, you have way more patience than I have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is so beautiful, Gina! Nothing about that NY beauty looks easy to me! You are just so talented, Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those blocks look amazing! I love the fabrics. NY beauty blocks look so awesome done, but are a total pain to sew the curves! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your New York Beauty blocks are amazing! Curves can be so tricky, but remember that the maker of the quilt is very often the only one who even notices when things don't match up perfectly! ☺ Everyone else sees those wonderful colours and all your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that NY Beauty is going to be a stunner! I'm definitely intimidated by curves. Keep at it, I'm sure it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have learned that for me it is much easier for me to make my small curves slightly larger and then cut them down to size after sewing if the design allows. The colors are fabulous though, it will be worth the work! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, that NY beauty is amazing, good luck sewing the curves! Lots on pins and go slow! Maybe even hand baste?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gina, you've got to make that block work! It's stunning! I've never seen a block like that! I don't know how you keep up, woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome work G! Your pyramid blocks are gorgeous, love the colours! And the fabrics you're using for the LaLa Salama quilt are just perfect! But wow, that NYB is stunning! And i have the utmost faith that you will nail the curves! And i've seen those videos you speak of... i too was fooled by the ease in which they sewed curves!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful fabrics in your NYB block. Good luck with the circles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear you are struggling, but it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Gina! So many goodies! My jaw dropped when I saw the NYB!!! It looks amazing....you are a brave womman, and I am certain you will prevail with the curves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That New York Beauty block is going to be stunning! Love, love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Gina!!!! So many lovely blocks! So nice!!!
    Jola

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are so pretty.... I have faith in you, girl! Good strategy to let it all lay after you have all of the pieces made, before you attempt to put the curves together. Your brain needs a break, and then you will be fresh! Can't wait to see it!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  26. your NYB is gorgeous! love the other blocks, too, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, your block is looking so pretty! You are doing great with it, I look forward to seeing it done!

    Would love for you to stop by and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  28. It seems like you are very busy Gina! Love the colours of the Pyramid Scheme blocks, so airy. I might give this block a try one day. Your New York Beauty block is amazing! Love the colours you chose. It looks soooo complicated to me. Sewing curves is not easy, did that with my birds and had to redo it quite a few times. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the finished NYB block!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That NYB is going to be UH-mazing!! I love all your gorgeous blocks :)

    ReplyDelete